Saturday, October 14, 2017

Twitter in the 21st Century Classroom


Although many people use social media for recreational purposes, certain social media platforms can also be used in the world of education. Twitter, for example, can be utilized by teachers to improve student learning, as well as improve their own skills as a teacher. Twitter is a great way for teachers to get their students to close that gap between "at school" and "at home" learning.

As briefly touched upon in my last blogpost, Twitter can be used as a professional development tool. Personally, I see myself using Twitter as a resource to turn to when I an unsure of something. According to Sarah W. Caron, "Making professional connections via social networking can not only result in a lot of great sharing of ideas and resources, but also combat the sense of isolation that many teachers experience." As a new teacher, I have questions constantly. Turning to colleagues for advice is necessary.  However, sometimes it may be easier, and more appropriate, to seek advice from other educators. Twitter allows me to do just that.

In the classroom, teachers can utilize Twitter in a variety of ways. Personally, I would use Twitter for communication purposes. For example, I could use it to remind students on assignments or homework due. I could also use it to share extra resources to deepen student learning. Twitter is also a great, and safe, platform where my students can go to ask or find an answer to proposed questions. For example, if there is an assessment that my students are studying for and they have a question, they could ask it on Twitter. I could answer them that night as they are studying, as opposed to having them wait until the next day. Twitter's capabilities are not ones that are unattainable by other platforms; however it "can make your job more fun and a little easier." (NEA.org)

1 comment:

  1. Twitter is such a good way to get answers to questions at all times of the day or night. And the best part about teachers is that they are always willing to share. It's such a great platform especially for new teachers who may want more than one idea or answer for a question.

    ReplyDelete

Digital Natives Vs Digital Immigrants

Personally, I would identify as a digital native. Born in the year 1993, I was alive for most of the current advancements in digital t...